Thursday, July 30, 2009

nine...

“I must find Richard,” she says. “Richard was supposed to make a toast to one of our honored guests thirty minutes ago. The band must be wondering what’s going on.”

“He’s probably just taking a leak,” I say. “Stay with me.”

“No. It’s not like him to forget these things.”

She leaves. I feel the same sense of abandonment I always feel when she leaves after our lovemaking, to meet her husband for dinner or theatre or some other inane activity that they have planned for the evening. Richard always wants to go out somewhere in the evening. With her. I want to introduce him to some men so that he can go out with the boys and I can pleasure his wife. Doesn’t he have any other friends? Work meetings? Why does he have to depend on her so much?

She makes him that way, I think with irritation. She makes him depend on her.

“Manipulative bitch!” I must have said it out loud because another guest gives me puzzled look.

I think of Julie. I can’t imagine her in Richard’s wife’s position. First of all, she is too independent to attach herself to a man for his money. She’d marry for love and be disappointed. She probably wouldn’t take a lover when she falls out of love with her husband. She’ll probably devote herself to her work, to her interests, and her kids if she has any. Boring. Boring. Boring. Maybe that’s why I’m not attracted to her.

Richard’s wife must have found him because he appears on the temporary stage (put up for the small band that was playing there) a few minutes after she has left me. He makes his toast. He sounds fine. He is not drunk. He was probably having trouble getting his pants up. I imagine he sleeps around with other women. He’s attractive and rich. Not many women can resist the combination.

I’m angry at Richard’s wife. I know it’s irrational but I’m angry nonetheless. She has not come back. I want to leave without telling her. I look for Julie. I find her sitting outdoors in a dark corner. Alone. Her face is flushed. I ask her what’s wrong but she wouldn’t tell me. She’s jumps up when I say that I want to go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment